Saturday, April 29, 2006

No Greater Love...

OF COURSE THE TERRORISTS WANT OPEN BORDERS

Whoa! Here’s a tidbit of information from Little Green Footballs regarding radical Muslim groups joining with the Hispanics on their protest day scheduled for May 1st.

Terrorists want open borders. This really underlines the point, does it not?

This immigration thing just burns me. Our country will not be secure if the borders are not closed. There are dark, swarthy people out there who want to kill us. They have a proven track record of infiltrating this country, and doing just that. They can pass for Hispanics if they have to. Hispanics sneak over here daily by the thousands. What part of this equation do our elected officials not understand? How does this not add up?

Democrats want more illegals over here. If they can make them citizens or get them to vote otherwise, they will win more elections. Period. Also, national security is a curse word to liberals.

Republicans don’t want to chase off the hispanic vote by doing something that is good for the country. They probably want cheap labor, as well. Bush also seems to be in Vicente Fox’s hip pocket.

So in other words, it’s all politics. I’m sure that’s not news to anybody. It just sickens me that an elected official would put politics over doing the right thing. Am I completely naive for expecting that? Apparently so.....

TO PUT IT ALL IN PERSPECTIVE....

I was standing in line at Barnes and Noble this evening when a rather large young man got in line behind me. When I say large, I mean like NFL linebacker large, with not an ounce of fat on him. I noticed a military-style haircut, but didn’t think much of it. This is a college town, and the school has a fine military tradition, so it could have been a Corps cadet. I noticed a James Avery cross hung by a black cord around his neck.

We struck up a casual conversation. We both noticed there seems to be a number of new books out on the shelves with a common element: debunk Jesus. It’s puzzling, and somewhat scary to me. However, this guy put it all into perspective.

“Satan must really be getting desperate,” he said.

I thought about it a minute. I said, “I think you’re probably right. But if we accept the Bible as true, we know how the battle is going to come out. Why in the world would anybody want to be on the losing side?”

He kind of laughed. “You’re asking the wrong person,” he said.

This guy had what can only be described as a plethora of books in his arm. “It’s a long plane ride back,” he said. I continued my check-out process.

“Oh. Where you flying to?” He had an accent that suggested that he was from up North somewhere. By that I mean one of the states on the wrong side of the War of Northern Aggression back in the 1860's. This is Texas, and Yankees are somewhat easy to spot when they talk. So I assumed that he was a college student flying home.

“Iraq,” he said.

It finally clicked. The hair. The build. This guy was a soldier. And he was loading up to head back into harm’s way. For me. For you. At the behest of his country. This guy was heading BACK to fight the terrorists on their own turf.

I was pretty overwhelmed at that point. What can you say to somebody in that position? Nothing that came to mind seemed adequate or appropriate. In a casual encounter like that, how would I express all that I felt? There was admiration. There was pride. There was fear for this guy’s life. There was rage at the terrorists whose actions put this noble man into harm’s way. All hit in the space of about a second.

My transaction was at an end. I gathered my new purchases, and started out the door. “Stay safe over there, and God bless you.” It was all I could come up with.

I thought a quick prayer for him as I walked out the door. I don’t know his name. I don’t know his unit. I don’t know what he is going to be doing over there. But I do know that he’s putting it all on the line, for all of us.

So in that light, this border nonsense really upsets me. This kid's sacrifice might be in vain, if we don't close our borders. And he IS a sacrifice, even if he comes home. He's away from his family, his friends, surrounded by people who want nothing more than to kill him, and to whom his life is less than that of livestock. He's doing it for the security of our way of life. The thought is almost unbearable that it could all be for nothing if we don't close our borders.

So tonight, think about this kid. I don’t care what side you’re on in the national debate over the War on Terror. Remember him in your prayers. Thank God that he’s willing to put it all on the line for you. Pray that he comes back home safely.

“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:13

No comments: