Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Pass the Turkey And Smack An Aggie

Thanksgiving is all about traditions: the food, the family, the antacids, all those fun things. I have noticed a few things becoming my own little Thanksgiving rituals over the last few years.

The first one that comes to mind is a need to get the heck away from people for a few hours. One might guess I am a bit solitary by nature, since I’m typing blog entries late at night, with only the gliders for company. At any rate, I like to get away for a bit. Yes, I’m anti-social.

Most Thanksgiving days, I would wander off on my Dad’s place somewhere. I’d pack a rifle and see what was stirring out in the bushes. Or I’d go drive somewhere, just to get out of the house for a couple of hours.

This year, I snuck out and played golf for a few hours. What a great time that was. There were about four other losers on the course, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The weather was great, the course was in great shape, and it was at least a little bit of exercise. I can see making that one a tradition. It would be a neat thing if I ever had a child. I can imagine taking them out to the golf course and having the whole place to ourselves.

The turkey sandwich is the other tradition that I’ve noticed falling into. Having eaten slightly more than a starving elephant at lunch; a big meal just does not seem very appetizing around dinner. A turkey sandwich will fit the bill quite nicely. It has mustard and cheese, and not much else. I won’t spoil it with dressing or anything. The sandwich and a glass of tea will pretty much take care of food requirements for the night.

Another great Thanksgiving tradition has somehow managed to get moved until the Friday after Thanksgiving. That would be the annual football game of Texas vs. their retarded cousin Texas A&M. I really don’t care much for football until the bowl season, but I make an exception on occasion. Seeing A&M get pounded is always something to be thankful for. It’s too bad the game doesn’t come on at 7:00 Thanksgiving night anymore. That would leave plenty of time for golf, the sandwich, and the Aggies getting spanked until they drool. I could truly go to bed thankful, since UT usually wins. The last time they played on a Thanksgiving Thursday was my junior year in college. I was actually at that game, and it was about 20 degrees in Memorial Stadium that night. It’s better by far to watch it at home.

They’re not great traditions or anything, but they’re mine. Hook 'em Horns.

No comments: