Thursday, October 26, 2006

Fear and Loathing of Politics

I am completely sick of political ads. Especially since I have complete and utter faith that everything stated in them is a lie. Except the, "...and I approve this message," bit.

I often have to wonder about myself. I like to think that I'm principled, but there are times where I am at odds with what being principled really means. The political forum, for instance, has caused me a lot of soul-searching moments lately. It also causes me to fly off the handle at the drop of a hat. Sometimes figuring out what the "right" thing to do is not as simple as it should be.

I've two friends that have my sincere admiration, because they are doing what I think is absolutely the right thing to do in the upcoming election. They are not voting Republican. I've discussed this ad nauseum on this blog, but it breaks into four postulates. First, Republicans didn't act as conservative as they should have on the border issue, government spending, marriage amendment, etc. Second, they should not be rewarded for failing to act on their conservative mandate, and a third party option should be exercised. Third, is a vote for a third party de facto allowing demoncrats to win, and what's the proper choice of action? Fourth, is the previous interrogatory simply a scare tactic on the part of Republicans to make sure their base turns out and vote for them, even though they are hacked off to no end?

The first and second thoughts appear to be 100% correct. That's what my heart tells me. Intellectually, the third postulate appears to be correct as well. There's no third party out there that 100% supports my views. I like the libertarian stance on government, but the drug thing is just too out there. The fourth postulate also has the ring of truth to it. Unfortunately, there's some fire to that smoke.

My friends argue there is no way to teach our political leaders a lesson other than with our votes. My money sure won't help matters. I think they are absolutely correct.

Here's the point where postulate #4 really hits me. And here's where my main concerns rear their ugly heads. I shudder to think what the courts will become if demoncrats gain the upper hand. Bush won't get any conservatives on any benches. It doesn't matter what laws are passed, or are on the books. If judicial activists rule the courts, their damage can do on unchecked for decades. This is a big problem, as far as I'm concerned. The average citizen has no idea how badly liberal judges can screw up our Constitution, and what they can inflict on us that the legislature could never do to us.

Gun control is also a big issue for me, as are taxes and abortion. I know what the demons will do given the chance. So frankly, the scare tactics work well for me, because these aren't simply random, abstract fears. They'll come to pass, if past history is any indication. I also believe that we ignore history at our peril on issues like this.

The right thing to do in this case is not vote Republican. If they aren't going to stand for what they say they stand for, run the bums out of office. In this regard, my friends are doing both the morally right thing to do, as well as the courageous thing, as far as I'm concerned. Will this actually teach the Republicans a lesson? Only one way to find out. However, this course of action puts us at risk for higher taxes, gun control, weaker national defense, etc.

So should I do what my heart tells me, and not reward the bad behavior of the Republican party? (For example, voting for a border fence, then voting not to fund it.) Or do I dare risk the consequences of a protest vote? On the one hand, vote my conscience. On the other hand, voting my conscience puts my beliefs at risk because a party hostile to them will take power. Thus, the dilemma.

This isn't an easy decision to make. It appears to be a losing propositon either way. And it's completely the fault of the politicians for putting me in this dilemma.

I'm absolutetly no good with moral dilemmas.

No comments: