Friday, October 06, 2006

Thoughts On The Double-Action

Yeah, here I go again, waffling on the choice of defensive sidearms. I had made up my mind that the 1911 style was going to be it. Hands down, no more waffling.

It still seems to me that a double-action is the fastest, safest way to carry. The Condition One stuff with a 1911 just scares the tar out of me. The hammer down on a loaded chamber is probably more fraught with danger than Condition One, but it looks safer to me. My intellect says no, but my eyes like the hammer down.

Again, the problem is that it takes so much time to get the hammer back on the pistol in a hurry. It's a lot easier to draw and pull the trigger with a double action.

Then there's the whole safety/no safety issue. In other words, the Sig or a Beretta? I like the safety. It makes me feel better. It doesn't take much time to get it off, if I practice faithfully drawing and shooting. But the Sig can be shot even more quickly, since there's no safety to worry about.

I guess it's all personal preference. I like the safety. At least this week. Next week I'll have waffled again, and might be carrying a Single Action Army Colt revolver. Or a baseball bat.

When it comes to the handgun in combat, I suppose it's best to look at what the real fighting men have had to use. We'll take military men out of consideration for a bit. We'll focus on police officers, because their use of handguns is probably more on a par with what the average citizen is likely to face.

Police officers seem to favor a double action of some sort. In the old days the sidearm of choice was a double action revolver. In modern times, a double action automatic. The evolution has gone from double actions with safeties (Beretta and Smith and Wesson) to double action only pistols (Glock and Sig). The aberrations from department to department include some 1911's here and there, and some still stick with the double-actions with safeties. But I see more Glocks and Sigs than anything else in the holsters of law enforcement. The stats say these guns seems to work the best. If it's good enough for the pros, why not for the rest of us?

Arrgh! What to do? And I haven't even begun to carp on the caliber choice.

4 comments:

Porta's Cat said...

I am sure you can or will get plenty of opinions on specific firearms and DOA vs SA/DA, etc. So I won't get into that. But I can offer this. In my time of carrying pistols, I have carried as primary:

1. Ruger P-89 (9mm, hi-cap, DA/SA)

2. Springfield Armory 1911-A1

3. Springfield Armory XD-40

4. Glock 27

5. (current) Beretta PX4 (9mm)

And have a KelTec P3AT and recently also S&W 642 as sort of a "casual carry" pistols.

With all of them, I put a lot of rounds downrange. With #1 and #5, I spent a lot of time working the de-cock feature in my shooting scenarios, and thumbing safety up as I drew from holster.

Lots of practice means lots of competence, or so we hope. As a result, I have not ever felt uncomfortable in carrying any of them with a round in the pipe, and the 1911 cocked and locked. Like anything, it just takes getting used to and each has its reported benefits and drawbacks. It is almost always some sort of compromise. Just find the one it is easiest for you to live with, and then practice.

Porta's Cat said...

But I see more Glocks and Sigs than anything else in the holsters of law enforcement. The stats say these guns seems to work the best. If it's good enough for the pros, why not for the rest of us?

Ahh, one more thing.

You probably shoot more often, and possibly with more accuracy and control, than the average and typical cop. As well, cops are like anyone else, particulalry the young ones. They buy and carry what is trendy and cool, and also what is allowed by their department. Your average recruit comes out of academy and picks up either the cheapest or coolest pistol he is allowed to carry (Glock, Sigma, XD, etc.), and then shoots it once a year. He will switch to a Kimber (assuming the department lawyers allow it) when he makes Sgt., because that is what Sgt.'s carry, don't you know? He will shoot 50 rounds through it when he gets it, and then shoot it once a year after that.

Kyle The Opinionated said...

It seems like you prefer the double action as well. I've never had a problem sweeping off the safety on a double action, and I've carried Sigs quite a bit. My pocket gun is a Beretta Tomcat, that I like just fine.

I just really tend to shoot the 1911 better than anything else, for some reason. It just "fits". I guess I need to practice with it cocked and locked, and see if I can overcome my own personal prejudices about the weapon. The slim profile really aids in concealment, as well. So it seems to be a logical choice as a carry gun.

That's a good point about the police officers. I do practice quite a bit more than they do, from what I can tell. Re-qualifying once a year doesn't really lead to great gunhandling skills, I wouldn't think.

It appears that double actions are quicker and easier to get into the fight, unless you are carrying the 1911 cocked and locked. At least for the average Joe. This is a sweeping generalization, and I guess law enforcement goes with what works the best for the masses of humanity they have to train. When dealing in bulk, go with the law of averages.

On the other side, your point is well taken. Familiarity and comfort with a certain gun leads to competence. I have a friend who's a wheelgun fanantic. He can dump six shots on target and reload with a speedloader about as well as anybody with an auto. And he never misses the kill zone, from what I've seen. I'm never going to say that he's inadequately armed with his Python. He loves the gun, and it "fits" him well. He enjoys shooting it, and will practice with it more than anything else in his arsenal.

It seems that personal preference and practice is what you're advocating. Never a bad combination.

Thanks for the commentary, I've enjoyed your blog.

Benjamin said...

Kyle,

I've done some further thinking on this matter. For the last 5 months or since I've had a CCW, I've carried Condition I 1911.

Several weeks ago, my brother bought a Sig P226 or whatever their single stack .45 is. He wanted the higher caliber round, but was freaky about the Condition I thing.

I played with his Sig a little, and realized that it has to be fire out of the holster DA. I don't know about you but I shoot like shit DA. I also would consider the first shot the most important.

Lately I've taken a skeptical approach to the de-cocker approach.

Also, I think a Glock is probably closer to a single action than a DA.

Just further thoughts. Congratulations on the sprog.

Regards,
Ben