Friday, October 20, 2006

Sporting Arms, Shmorting Arms

Yeah, I know I said the other post was going to be the last one for the weekend. But the greatness of Kim du Toit has published another winner that I had to link to. Find the essay here.

du Toit's basic point is well-taken. I cringe when I hear some idiot politician state they won't take away my sporting arms. I don't care about those. I care about self-defense pistols, rifles, and assorted goodies. I don't hunt nearly as much as I would like to. And I'm not alone. Most of my Second Amendment friends don't hunt. They shoot a lot, but they shoot IDPA or IPSC style-shooting, punch paper, or knock down steel plates.

I'm worried about somebody coming along and outlawing Glocks, Sigs, Berettas, H&K's, Rugers, etc. They'll say they have "no sporting purpose," and that will be the end of them. Think it can't happen? Look at Great Britian, Canada, Australia, etc. Look at everything the democrats did with gun rights while Clinton was in office. They used that exact language, and it's the same language the demons use when the squawk about gun control now. Mark my words, there is a very active gun control lobby out there, and they have the ear of the demoncratic party.

I have stated over and over again that the Bill of Rights lists individual rights that all people have, and that the government CANNOT infringe upon. If those rights are abridged, you have tyranny. The Second is the only amendment that puts proactive, real power in the hands of the citizens of the United States. Everything else is just a paper right, and an abstract concept.

Keep this in mind when you go to the polls in a couple of weeks. Any politician who talks about "sporting arms" is thinking about snatching your pistols, AR's, and AK's. They're just trying to phrase it somewhat diplomatically to not lose your vote.

No comments: