Monday, October 16, 2006

Random Thoughts And The Error Of Our Ways

From Xavier Thoughts, a nice link about a son and his dad. It really makes one think about how amazing unconditional love really is, and what it can accomplish.

Reasonablenut had himself a good time at the tactical pistol course that he took. He's now a firm believer in Condition One carry for a 1911. I'm slowly coming around.

The always erudite and enjoyable James over at Hell In A Handbasket gives us a great story about a little old lady, her Beretta, and at least ten years of not being a victim. If you think the Second Amendment isn't worth it after reading this, you're a philistine of the highest order. And not one person got shot in this tale, I might add.

Porta's Cat pontificates on the dimunitive "mouse gun." I agree. Calling them "mouse guns" does a disservice to the guns and their obvious utility. This is especially true if you've seen what a simple .22 bullet will do to most game animals in this state. I love the big calibers, but a person isn't inadequately armed with a small pocket pistol in .22 or so. When somebody makes a 9mm semiauto that's the same size and weight as a Beretta Tomcat, doesn't kick like a psychotic rhino when you shoot it, and actually stays in one piece after firing, I think we'd all want one. Until then, a lot of us will pack our mouse guns, and be well served.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As is my wont, I was ruminating over the various mistakes I've managed to pull in my relatively short existence on this earth. Everything serves its purpose, so I believe. So what possible good can come of all of this stuff??

With the impending birth of our son, a reason did spring to mind. I'm about to step into the biggest role that I will ever play on the world stage. I'm about to be a Dad. Perhaps all that stuff was simple training. Perhaps my mistakes can serve to make me a better parent. Maybe I can pass on what I've learned the hard way. Maybe the experiences themselves will shape my parenting. I'd hate to think it was all for nothing.

Or possibly my only function in life is to serve as a warning to others??

1 comment:

a faith bigger than fear said...

GREAT POST!!! You definitely know how to stir some emotions deep within!!!

"So what possible good can come of all of this stuff??"
I do believe that everything serves a purpose, in God's grand plan, it ALL serves a purpose!

I love my children immensely and I miss them dearly and I feel I did some damage to them by walking away from their father 10 years ago(all reasons unbeknownst to them). I am not about to tarnish their view of their father for what ever reasons I had for walking away, but I hurt for my kids, still to this day. I know they have an ache deep within because they did not grow up in their final teen-age years, as a real family...

All I can do now is "serve as a warning" to them... with all my experiences, bad and good.

I think you are going to be a wonderful father!!!