Monday, December 20, 2004

Tolerate THIS, Heathens!!!

I’m starting to feel a bit, well....persecuted. Everywhere I turn, the most sacred of my religions’ holidays is under attack. There’s probably not a town in the US where some moron isn’t protesting Christmas decorations, Christmas parties, and Christmas in general.

If all of these various malcontents get their way, Christianity is going to become a dirty little secret locked away in the country’s basement. Anything remotely Christian is getting removed from every government office. For example, we’ve all probably heard the hullabaloo about the tiny cross in Los Angeles’ city seal. Weatherford does not get to put up a nativity scene on the courthouse lawn.

I’ve about had enough. I’m supposed to tolerate homosexuality, abortion, hip/hop music, and Michael Jackson. I’m supposed to put up with Robert Mapplethorpe. I have to deal with Al Franken, James Carville, and Maureen Dowd. I have to allow NEWSWEEK to publish an attack piece on Christianity. I have to pretend Kwanzaa has some actual significance, outside of what some 60’s radical claims. I am told to worry about racial profiling when Muslims are subjected to routine security checks in airports; then told to back off when my wife’s underwear is pulled out of her luggage in an airport “random” security check. (She does not appear to be Middle Eastern, by the way. Of course, we have to worry about Scandinavians bombing and hijacking planes, so her underwear is of course suspect.)

However, let me put up a nativity scene on the courthouse lawn, and suddenly I’m intolerant????

Let’s talk about tolerance. America is great for that reason. Whatever stupid, nonsensical garbage people want to believe in, America allows it. Want to worship your dog? Fine. We’ve got no problems with it. We’ll even give voodoo churches tax exemptions. Want to practice homosexuality? Again, OK. As a whole, America won’t burn a person at the stake for it.

One person’s freedom ends where the next person’s begins. Whatever weird crap a person chooses to believe, as long as it doesn’t hurt somebody else; it’s going to be tolerated here in America. It’s one of the great things about our country. It’s probably also one of our greatest weaknesses. We put up with just about anything. We don’t have to LIKE it, though, and that’s where the country is getting into trouble. That’s another subject entirely.

All of this lovely tolerance comes from one thing: our country was founded on Christian principles. That makes this society very open and tolerant. The guiding principle is, “do unto others, as you would have done unto you.” This guiding principle is built into our Constitution. It allows freedom of speech, allows freedom of worship, and guarantees other basic freedoms. All these rights boil down to a basic concept of, “leave me alone to pursue what makes me happy, and I’ll do the same for you.” These rights are not recognized in a society based on Islamic law, or Animism, or Buddhism, or Hinduism. They can only come from a Judeo/Christian morality base.

I’m not saying Christians are perfect. In fact, the basic tenant of Christianity is that none of us are perfect. We have to have the Grace of God for our salvation. Historically, we’ve messed things up a few times. By and large however, Christianity has done some great things for the world. The United States is an excellent by-product of this religion. The nation was founded on the notion of tolerance, as propounded by the Christians who set the whole thing up.

Instead of attacking Christian symbols in the government, we should look at them as a reminder of what our society is based on. I’m not saying everyone should be Christian, but at least respect the fact that it is Christian principles that allow one to be whatever one wants in this great country.

Remove the notion of Christian tolerance out of this country, and we would be in serious trouble. I find it ironic that the things liberals are attacking so hard are the very things that have allowed them to attack in the first place. Atheists would not be tolerated in a true theocracy. Freedom of speech is not allowed in a Communist regime.

So let’s show a little respect here. I tolerate all kinds of things I find abhorrent and repugnant. The least the liberals and atheists can do is tolerate a nativity scene, or allow me to say, “merry Christmas.” I’m not forcing them to worship the same way I do. After all, if it wasn’t for Christianity and its message of tolerance, they wouldn’t have the freedom to gripe about it.

So tolerate THAT, heathens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was beginning to think we, the readers of your blog, needed to outlaw any future trips you had planned to God's Country because your average # of posts had gone down tremendously since your last trip. But, now it looks like things are back on track. Glad to see it. Hope your wife hides the video games.

Anonymous said...

Not only has she not hidden them, she actually bought the new Star Wars game for me. It's up next after the HALO game has been conquered.

Just what I need, more things to occupy my time.

Kyle

Anonymous said...

Bush's Kwanzaa Greeting!!!

This is an outrage

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/12/20031219-3.html