Friday, May 12, 2006

Food For Thought

So what would we all do in this situation?

Anybody who carries concealed needs to think about this.

Via Hell In a Handbasket, via Reasonablenut

Honestly, this is one of my worst fears. That I don't react quickly enough, that I hesitate, that I second-guess myself.

Then something like this could happen.

This just emphasizes the first rule of gunfighting: have a gun. This guy had the primary rule handled just fine. It's after that things got a bit dodgy.

2 comments:

DirtyUnicorn said...

Man I feel bad for this guy. I think I would have done the same. Shooting stops and your standing there holding a gun in the middle of a mall. You are thinking maybe this would look bad to other people (like the cops) so you "re-holster" knowing that you could draw your weapon again if you need to. Unfortunately he couldn't draw again fast enough.

Sadly gun fights just don't work like on TV (well any kind of fighting really) :(

Kyle The Opinionated said...

Very true. A law-abiding citizen would probably have that very thought running through their head: try to avoid getting killed by the cops if they mistake you for the bad guy.

I have a bad habit of over-analyzing every situation. Sometimes thought is truly the death of action. I can see where something like this could very well happen.

I've fortunately never been in any sort of combat, but I think this tale is a harsh lesson of how quickly things play out in a situation like this.

And you're absolutely correct: it doesn't go the way it does in tv's and movies.

Thanks for commenting, and stopping by the site.